Tuesday 28 February 2012

Vegan Pancake Goodness

This is what I made for my lunch on pancake day (Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras). I know that celebrating the start of Lent by using up all the dairy in the house doesn't really apply when you're an atheist vegan eating soya milk pancakes, but I wasn't about to miss out.


Mock duck and mushroom hoi sin pancakes with spring onions and peppers (I usually do cucumber instead of peppers, I didn't have any, it would be good with both though).


A traditional British lemon juice and sugar one for dessert. We had pancakes again on Sunday, I filled them with canned pie cherries.

Basic vegan pancake recipe:

50g/ 2oz. self-raising flour (cake flour)
125ml/ 1/2 US cup soya milk
1 level tsp. gram flour (chickpea/besan)
pinch of salt

Whisk everything together then let it stand for a few minutes as it will thicken a little.

This serves one person (makes three 20cm/approx 7.5" pancakes or two 25cm/10"), just multiply it to serve more. I use a flat-bottomed wok to cook mine in as I find it easier to get a spatula in to loosen them before flipping. I also use plain sunflower oil in a spray container (bottle of 1-cal cooking spray refilled with oil) instead of a pool of it from the bottle, this way they're almost fat free. You'll need more oil if you're not using a non-stick pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment