Saturday 22 January 2011

I made a new dress!

Here it is! Please excuse the mirror photo and bad hair. I cut this dress out over a year ago and never made it up, but felt the urge to complete it last night. The pattern is basically Butterick 6582, a repro 'Mad Men' style from 1960, but I've modified it by dropping the neckline, and tapering and lengthening the skirt a little to give it a more 50s shape.



Here's the fabric. I have some left, it's a chartreuse atomic print cotton barkcloth.


I have already begun drafting a bolero pattern to go with it, it's going to be 50s style, black with the green fabric as a lining, which will be visible on the turn back cuffs and collar.

7 comments:

  1. very cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, it's gorgeous, will you make a matching hat too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably :) maybe a handbag too! I made the bolero to go with it but I'm not 100% on it, I made up the pattern and now it's done I think it makes my shoulders look too sloped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing dress! It looks fantastic on you. And it matches my purse/bag made by Etsy seller Atomic Livin'. I carry it everyday, and I love that fabric. I tell you, that dress will last you forever, because that's one tough fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had fabric from Atomic Livin' before, the black 'Boomerang' one - I made a dress from that too, and a handbag which has lasted ages!

    I'm going to wear the dress for my birthday dinner tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fabric is swell! Great colour on you too. Gosh, I wish I had the drive to finish my old sewing projects, I dread to think how many things are cut out & bundled away, never to see the light of day again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This is the best i have seen. Im getting ready to give it a try. First dress ever.

    ReplyDelete