Thursday 27 May 2010

May's Vintage Finds and Summer Dress Progress

Yesterday, I went to Burnley for a visit to my family. I'd not been over since January, and needed to take over my Mum's birthday present, I was also being nosey to see how big my pregnant sister had gotten. I know she reads this blog, so hello Mum! My sister and I went to the fleamarket in the town centre, where I managed to pick up a few vintage gems!

Here is a picture of my ridiculous face before I set off for the bus. I had been up all night and felt drained, so decided on a Carmen Miranda look to brighten myself up. You can see my eye scar really badly.




The fruit theme turned out to be a good idea, because upon seeing me, one of the stallholders produced this lovely little pair of celluloid fruit earrings! She only wanted £3 for them too. They're clips, and I can't wear them on my lobes because of my stretched tunnels (see picture above), but I can wear them pinned into my hair or onto a sweater. 1940s - 50s?



I also got this sweet little daisy brooch from the same seller, not sure of the age but it was only £2 and goes with my other yellow accessories.



Another addition to my fawn collection! Withernsea Pottery 'Fauna' vase, £4. 1950s?



I have been on a little vintage necklace buying spree this month. This one was £1 from the fleamarket, 1950s. I love teal at the moment!



These two are 1930s uranium glass pieces from a Czech seller on eBay, I was so excited to receive them! The seller was a lovely lady trading as 'darrepack', I would highly recommend her for cute vintage Czech jewellery, it was beautifully packaged and quickly delivered.



I won the minty green one for about £5, and she included the little cut glass necklace for free! It's very sparkly and fits perfectly three times round my wrist as a bracelet. The listing included pictures of them glowing under UV light, I can't wait to go somewhere with UV so I can see them glow!



This milk glass one was also an eBay find, it's a bit tight though so I'm going to get a clip-in extension chain. 1940s?



My local charity shops have produced a poor haul this month, my only purchase being this kitsch plastic religious icon. I love how badly painted it is.



Aerospace Boyfriend has been revising for his exams all this month, meaning I've had a lot of time on my own, so I spent last Saturday putting together the dress I started in a previous post. I'm not totally happy with it, it sits oddly on the bust and for some reason the waistline is not even at all, despite me having followed the pattern and made the pencil skirted version of this dress numerous times. Saying that, I'm pretty sure that the wiggly waistline can be covered with a belt, and the bust issue is a case of finding the right underwear to position my boobs correctly!

1 comment: